Combo Apps/RNI (Really Nice Images) Films for iOS

Blur Steele

RNI, stands for Really Nice Images. They originally made Lightroom Presets to simulate different film brands, so your photos looked and feel like they were shot on film. There is no on board camera with this app, its edit only and very simple to use. The top photo was edited with RNI Films.

Recently Added-566

The app looks like this when you load it up. I tap on the settings button to show you the set and other things you can do with the app. There are in-app purchases but I will talk about those later in the blog post. Yes, you will get my honest opinions (which is always a treat).

Demo  Photo

I’m going to start the demo with this photo I took.

Recently Added-564

After you load your photo, you have 5 different film categories. It seems like the developer loves Agfa films. I’m not a fan of the film and didn’t use it when I shot film back in the day. So if you “LOVE” Agfa, then you’re in for a treat !!! I prefer Fuji, Ilford and some Kodak films. Sadly you have to pay for those, which will cost you $2.99 for each film section. I find the really pricey, considering you can get a lot of the same filter packs that simulate close to these film simulations. One of the things I’m disappointed with is they are missing some crucial film simulations like, the entire Fuji black and white films, Fuji Reala (Color Film), Fujichrome Velvia 50, Fujichrome Provia 400x, Kodak Tri-X 400 (BW) and the list goes on…

Recently Added-565

They also have basic editing tools to enhance your film simulations. One of the tools that’s missing is GRAIN !!! I don’t know how you can make a film simulation without film grain or a little noise. After you’re done with your edits, you tap on the box with arrow button and save or post your edits.

RNI Films Demo

The other thing I’m not crazy about are the resolution saves. The saves are full resolution and someone corrected me. You should have full to high-resolution saves with your edits. There’s not a whole bunch of pressing or heavy/intense editing going on with this app. If I would rate this app in the App Store as a 2 star app. For the fact they force you to use Agfa films, missing some crucial films, no grain tool and over priced in-app purchases. The only thing RNI Films has going for it are the simple user interface and it’s FREE. If you have any questions about this blog post, please leave comments or email me ashcroft54@gmail.com. Have a great day and see you soon !!!

20601953475_04ae19bccc_z

Gallery | This entry was posted in Combo Apps: Mobile Extreme Editing, iPhoneography, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Combo Apps/RNI (Really Nice Images) Films for iOS

1. Carlos Velazquez says:

rNI need improve..but good faded competition to vsco

2. eucalyptha says:

Thanks for this honest blog post. Now I know I won’t spend any money on it.

3. ashcroft54 says:

I agree with you and Carlos that it’s better than VSCO. But I also feel that they’re missing a crucial tool and some films. I feel if the developer wants to be serious and simulate film. You need to show grain in the higher ISO films. You can get away with the lower speeds films. Even in 400 speed the films are grainy. You can make them all look smoothed out and digitised. Someone didn’t like my review and that’s fine. I know I’m spot on with certain things like the fact your stuck with Agfa and you have to buy the other film brands. I’m not willing to spend $15 so I can use one or two film brands in each category. But I also feel this app does what a lot of other apps do already, like Afterlight and Faded.

Hello Tina.

Thanks for the honest review. Very disappointing app.

– The output pixel dimensions are a deal breaker for me.
    – Missing Tri-X is a big omission.
    – Was it also missing Pan-X?
    – And I agree with the need for grain!

Another deal breaker was that the developer did not indicate in the App Store which film simulations were available with the free app, nor what you got with the in-app purchases. I wouldn’t pay money not knowing what I was getting.

As an aside, I started off shooting Agfacolor slides way, way back in time! There would be some nostalgia in a simulation of this, but not with the output pixel dimensions in this app.

🙂 … MomentsForZen (Richard)

• “Another deal breaker was that the developer did not indicate in the App Store which film simulations were available with the free app, nor what you got with the in-app purchases.”

Your statement makes no sense. It’s a free app. Download it and you’ll know immediately which film simulations are included, which ones are free and which ones cost money.

Your statement “I wouldn’t pay money not knowing what I was getting” is nonsense.

It is a deal breaker when you’re stuck with Agfa film simulation. You have to buy everything else at $2.99 per pack and some of the pack are missing a lot of other films. Maybe you love throwing your money away but I don’t and that’s the bottom line.

• @ashcroft54 I was not replying to you at all. I was reply to @rjllane inconsistent statement. He’s complaining that he doesn’t want to buy a FREE app unless he knows which film simulations are included. It’s clear what is included and what is not. So @rjllane’s complaint is pointless.

As for being stuck. You already know what is being included and what is not. So if you don’t see what you like then don’t spend the money. Simple. I haven’t thrown any money away.

Well I get the comment alerts, since it’s my blog. I think his point is your stuck with mostly one brand of film instead of a mix of different film brands. You have to pay to use the other film brands. That’s in itself is just plain bad app developing. It also makes good app developers look bad. This is why people get upset over in-app purchases. It’s $2.99 for each pack and there are 5 packs. That’s very expensive considered there are other apps out in the market that do a lot of the same thing. You can get them at a far cheaper price with very good results. So yes, you’re stuck into buying something because it doesn’t state clearly with what you’re getting in the first place. Does that make sense ?

• Your complaint is “it’s exactly like VSCOcam. Why do developers like to make money? Why can’t I have what I want for free?”

• You’re not stuck into buying anything. No ONE is forcing you to but anything.

5. Greg says:

The save resolutions are actually higher than you’ve stated. You can save out to 3264 x 2448. Thus, leaving you with an approximate file size of 7,990,272 pixels.

You’re right Greg and I’m going to fix that part. I was getting lower res from something else.

• rjllane says:

Hello Greg.

What device are you using? It seems like the output pixel dimensions are device-dependent.

A) iPad Mini with Retina (a.k.a. iPad Mini 2) – output pixel dimensions were 1920 x 1440 pixels.
      B) iPhone 6 – output pixel dimensions were 3264 x 2448 pixels.

I hate this, because the iPad Mini has the same processor and great screen resolution.

🙂 … MomentsForZen (Richard)

6. Dieter Rams says:

Came across this review when googling for RNI-related stuff.

Just wanted to point out some inaccuracies:

1. Film grain tool reported missing – but it is definitely there and it is quite good. At least when I run the app on iPhone 6. Can see it right now with adjustable grain size and intensity.

2. Resolution – personally I had no issues processing in RNI and exporting 21MP images taken with my DSLR. Not sure what author is talking about.

3. Fuji, Ilford and Kodak films – all there. Not sure what author means by saying it’s Agfa-heavy. May be that’s Agfa films often standing first because of alphabet order. But you can always use your finger to scroll down the list to other brands.

4. Extra film packages price – seems to be higher than author says.