Combo Apps/Snapseed 2.0 part 1 of 3

Snapseed  Noir and Glamour Glow

How do you make a powerful app more powerful ? You do a major overhaul, add new editing tool and throw in the some really great filter. That’s what Snapseed did with the their new 2.0 update. Over a year ago, I emailed Snapseed and gave them some feedback on their app. They told me they were working on a serious update to improve the tools and other things. Well the update came out today and it’s big buzz in the mobile community. This was a highly much anticipated update and overhaul on the design along with new user interface. The new update runs smooth like melted butter on my iPhone 6 plus. I can only imagine on the iPad Air 2 that it’s even quicker. This will be a 3 part Snapseed update blog post because there is so much to cover and can’t fit into one blog post.

Below are two lists of added features and compatibility requirements. You will need iOS 8 in order to get this update or purchase the app.

What’s New in Version 2.0.0

• Stacks allow you to re-edit any image
• Copy your edits from one image to another
• 5 new filters including Lens Blur, Tonal Contrast and Glamour Glow, previously a premium feature
• Lens blur that’s adjustable in all directions
• Brush tools to apply effects to sections of an image
• Spot Repair for detailed editing, healing, and retouching
• Transform adjusts perspective across vertical and horizontal axes, then fills in empty areas after rotations

Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.

*The top photo was edited with Snapseed using the new Noir and Glamour Glow filters.*

All Photos-1940

We open up Snapseed with new slick interface, so long to the dead tree in the desert photo and good riddance !!! Now we have a bright new photo with open photo button. Tap on the open photo button and a menu pops up with 4 options. I’m going to tap on the open from device button and select a photo.

Before Snapseed - Demo

But before I tap on that button, I wanted to show you the demo photo that will be used during the simple tutorial. I just want to enhance the photo and not do a lot of heavy editing. I just want to darken the edges and bring out the flower so it looks more inviting.

All Photos-1941

I’ve loaded up the photo and ready to be edited. Now if you noticed the screen and UI are so different. In the first screen there’s a histogram and a big plus button. When you tap on the big plus button, you have two section of boxes to tap on, Tool and Filters.

All Photos-1942

I tap on vignette because I wanted to darken the edges, so your eyes go to the flower. As you can see, they still have the sliders of up and down and left to right. The signature way of how Snapseed operates and the design of it is so clean now. You can still tap on the top right hand corner to revert back and fourth between edits.

All Photos-1943

The 2 out of 5 new filters I’m going to show you are Tonal Contrast and Glamour Glow. Tonal Contrast is awesome and very impressive. You have total control over your contrast and details without blowing anything out. These controls not only enhances your details but preserves them at the same time. You have 3 tones and 2 details.

Glamour Glow is also impressive too. This has to be the best glow filter/tool I’ve used on a mobile platform. It’s the only glow slide I’ve seen that doesn’t blow everything out and maintains details. It’s like the took the mid section between blown out and blacked out and stretched that mid section to give you better control. Snapseed really did their home work with these two filters.

All Photos-1945

Now let’s talk about how to save in Snapseed because that has changed. What you want to tap on SAVE COPY and not SAVE. If you tap on save, it will permanently modify your original photo. So if you have an original back up, then by all means SAVE away but I don’t…so I tap on DON’T ALLOW !!!

The other cool thing is if you tap on the 3 show in the second screen shot. You can look at your history of all the edits you did in layers. I think that pretty fricken awesome. This is great for the people who want to keep track on editing steps you did with Snapseed. Plus this is how you can go back in fourth with your layers with Snapseed.

Snapseed is FREE in the App Store, universal to the iPad and iOS 8 only.

After Snapseed - Demo

Here is my finished enhanced edits done with Snapseed. There is something else I wanted to point out. With the new update there are some draw backs, you gain some/you loose some. Three filter were dropped in the update, Grunge, Center Focus and Tilt Shift. But you gain Lens Blur, Glamour Glow, Tonal Contrast, Grainy Film and Noir. The tools you lost were Automatic, Selective Automatic and Straighten. But you gained Rotate, Transform, Brush, Selective, Spot Repair and Vignette…I’m guessing the tools you lost are in the new tool folders. I’m going to go over the tools in more detail in part 3 of the Snapseed update. Tomorrow I plan to do into detail with Lens Blur, Graniy Film and Noir. This concludes part 1 of the Snapseed Update. If you have any questions, please leave comments or email me ashcroft54@gmail.com. See you tomorrow for part 2 !!!

Snapseed

Gallery | This entry was posted in Combo Apps: Mobile Extreme Editing, iPhoneography, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Combo Apps/Snapseed 2.0 part 1 of 3

1. 365ken says:

A much needed update but now I have to learn another app.

Hello ashcroft54 (Tina).

Glad that you are looking at the new Snapseed. Mixed, but generally positive feelings on my part. Having to hit the “+” to bring up the menu is tedious – a permanent sidebar (or option for this) would be nice. The “Save” option will be dangerous – losing the original will happen by accident – and I have no idea why I would NOT want to save a copy. I wish we could turn off the SAVE option to prevent accidental use.

But it is a go-to app for me, and will certainly be staying just that. It is very good to see that it is being cared for and maintained.

I think that Photo fx (from Tiffen) has a pretty decent Glow filter, too. This was what I have used in the past for this effect. But perhaps I will swap to Snapseed for this?

Looking forward to your 2/3 and 3/3 🙂

… MomentsForZen (Richard)

• It’s actually non-destructive, even when you save. If you reopen the saved image in Snapseed, all of the stacks are saved as well, so you can readjust them or delete them, leaving you with the original image again.

Now they need to add TIFF or PNG save options because it still JPEG only.

• rjllane says:

Hello David.

I see what you mean, but … I’m not the trusting type. Where is the original image stored? I thought that there might have been a “Snapseed” album, but there isn’t. As far as the “Photos” app and the rest of the iOS system is concerned, the original image has been replaced by the final image out of Snapseed. It is only Snapseed that knows where the original is, and it is no longer readily accessible for backup etc.

… MomentsForZen (Richard)

3. mrmenellis says:

highly over rated updated. The new layout is so terrible. Looks like an android on iOS nothing native about it. The new filters are so meh… like other said the fact you have to tap the plus but to just to get get editing so beyond mind boggling. If I saw this update 2years ago I may have cheered. But there are so many other apps that do all this and more and function better.

I’m starting to find the update a bit trendy in some areas. But they really need a masking tool of some kind and real blending of layers.

• sethcarnill says:

There is a masking tool! Click on the layer and select the ‘brush’ option… you can then paint a mask… I have to say it’s not very intuitive, maybe you can post another tutorial if you work it out!

I’m going to do that and THANKS !!! See I didn’t even know that and not many others know about it.

4. sethcarnill says:

Saving doesn’t work as you describe. It is actually non destructive. Yes if you look back in your camera roll then the original image is visible including the edits you made. But if you open it and then click ‘edit’ in the iOS photos app then you have the option to revert to the original file which removes all the snapseed edits. Also worth noting out that when you open said image again in snapseed all the edit history is there to be manipulated again. I think the update is excellent. As is your review! Thanks.

5. Robert says:

Snapseed is great, but without the Grunge, there are no amount of great filters and effects in the world that could make up for taking it away. It was a massively stupid decision – I used that effect a lot on serious projects – and I know others who did too – I’m really disappointed in their lack of foresight and connection with the users. So stupid. Hope they bring it back or I may just delete the app in protest.